Resources for Interested Listeners.
Enjoying the podcast, but want to go deeper into Egyptian history? Here is a starting place: a library of resources you can use to gain greater insight into the culture, language and stories of this amazing people. I try to update the list regularly, but let me know if there is something missing which people should know about!
Note: Some links will generate a small commission for the Podcast if you purchase from that website (e.g. Amazon). This will help me maintain costs and expenses of creating the show.
Hieroglyphics and the Ancient Egyptian Language
- Mark Collier & Bill Manley, How to Read Egyptian Hieroglyphs: A Step-by-Step Guide to Teach Yourself, 2003 (Revised Edition). Amazon
- Bill Manley, Egyptian Hieroglyphs for Complete Beginners, 2012. Amazon
- Bill Petty, Hieroglyphic Dictionary: A Vocabulary of the Middle Egyptian Language, 2012. Amazon
University Course Books:
- Raymond O. Faulkner, A Concise Dictionary of Middle Egyptian, 1988-1991. Digital
- James Hoch, Middle Egyptian Grammar, 1997. Amazon
- Claude Obsomer, Hieroglyphic Egyptian: A Practical Grammar of Middle Egyptian, 2016. Safran
- James Allen, Middle Egyptian: An Introduction to the Language and Culture of Hierogylphs. Amazon (NOTE: not recommended for beginners)
General Histories of Egyptian Culture
- David P. Silverman (editor), Ancient Egypt, 2003. Amazon(NOTE: dated, but still good).
- Ian Shaw (editor), The Oxford History of Ancient Egypt, 2000. Amazon(NOTE: dated, but still good).
- Marc van de Mieroop, A History of Ancient Egypt, 2010. Amazon
- Jan Assmann, The Mind of Egypt, 2002. Amazon (NOTE: slightly controversial, but undeniably compelling reading).
- Toby Wilkinson, The Rise and Fall of Ancient Egypt, 2013. Amazon
- John Romer, A History of Ancient Egypt from the First Farmers to the Great Pyramid, 2013.
- John Romer, A History of Ancient Egypt Volume 2: from the Great Pyramid to the Fall of the Middle Kingdom, 2017. Amazon
Ancient Texts and Literature
- Miriam Lichtheim, Ancient Egyptian Literature, Volume I (Old and Middle Kingdoms); Volume II (New Kingdom); Volume III (Late Period), 2006 (revised editions).
- William Kelly Simpson (editor), The Literature of Ancient Egypt, 2003. Amazon
- Richard Parkinson, The Tale of Sinuhe and Other Ancient Egyptian Poems 1940-1640 B.C., 2009. Amazon
- Raymond Faulkner, Ogden Goelet et al., The Egyptian Book of the Dead: The Book of Going Forth By Day, 2015 (Revised Edition). Amazon (NOTE: essential for anyone interested in this Book; do not use Budge).
- Richard Parkinson, Poetry and Culture in Middle Kingdom Egypt: A Dark Side to Perfection, 2002. Amazon
- William Murnane, Texts from the Amarna Period in Egypt, 1995. Amazon
- Edward Wente, Letters from Ancient Egypt, 1990. Amazon
- Toby Wilkinson, Writings from Ancient Egypt, 2017. Amazon
- John L. Foster, Hymns, Prayers and Songs: An Anthology of Ancient Egyptian Lyric Poetry, 1996. Amazon
Archaeology, Religion, Culture and Society
- Kathryn Bard, An Introduction to the Archaeology of Ancient Egypt, 2015 (2nd Edition). Amazon (NOTE: an excellent overview of important sites, theories and evidence on a wide range of topics).
- Mark Lehner and Zahi Hawass, Giza and the Pyramids: The Definitive History, 2017. Amazon (NOTE: essential reading for anyone interested in the pyramids of Giza, their construction and history).
- Mark Lehner, The Complete Pyramids, 1997. Amazon (Note: dated, but still valuable). Digital
- Richard Wilkinson, The Complete Gods and Goddesses of Ancient Egypt, 2003. Amazon
- Geraldine Pinch, Egyptian Mythology: A Guide to the Gods, Goddesses, and Traditions of Ancient Egypt, 2004. Amazon
- Donna Napoli, Treasury of Egyptian Mythology, 2013. Amazon (NOTE: Beautiful art, great for kids)
- Nicholas Reeves and Richard Wilkinson, The Complete Valley of the Kings, 2008. Amazon
- Aidan Dodson and Dyan Hilton, The Complete Royal Families of Ancient Egypt, 2010. Amazon
- Howard Carter and A.C. Mace, The Discovery of the Tomb of Tutankhamen, 2012. Amazon
Media & Fiction
- Mika Waltari, The Egyptian, 1949 (Dated but impressive for the time; based on Sinuhe). Amazon
- Wilbur Smith, River God, 1993 (entertaining and detailed). Amazon
- Board Game: Valley of the Kings (I own this one, it’s quite fun). Amazon
- Movie: The Mummy Trilogy, 1999-2008 (the first one is great, don’t deny it). Amazon
- Movie: The Mummy: The Complete Legacy Edition, 1932-1955 (classics). Amazon
- Video Game: Pharaoh, 1999 (with Cleopatra expansion). GOG.com
- Video Game: Assassin’s Creed: Origins, 2017 (great detail, lots of fun). Playstation 4, Xbox One and Paul Davies, The Art of Assassin’s Creed Origins, 2017. Amazon